Sunday, April 19, 2020

Calvin vs Kelvin

It occurs to me that part of my problem with moral relativism is indeed a tendency toward calvinistic scrupulosity. Despite my Catholicism and faith that my soul is never cleaner than on Divine Mercy Sunday- and my faith that we experience the height of justice and mercy together in the Sacrament of Mercy- I still want to see some effect of forgiveness in the real world.

I was dreaming about this post all night- and had the nightmare of a misspelling that would better fit my autism. I have Kelvinistic scrupulosity, at least from the point of view of neurotypicals. My inability to see what others call shades of grey, means my discernment is certainly based on absolute zero and the temperature of sin.

The cognitive dissonance that I'm feeling is because I recognize the danger of pandemics- and the danger of responding to pandemic inappropriately.

We should have had a travel-free Christmas, then we could have at least had the Mass. Failing to do so (because China refused to admit to the world there was an epidemic in Wuhan in November and early December), our eucharist-free Easter feels like too little too late. The way to prevent pandemics is the same way you prevent any invasive species- long quarantines and decontamination protocols of travelers, not locking up people already in the country. But you have to have those in place *before* the invasive species arrives, and if due to a rogue government this cannot be done, almost no other measures taken will do anything other than mildly mitigate the problem. Now that we know that the early estimates of hospitalizations and deaths were off by a factor of 100, let us start being smart, and take away the power to limit travel and close businesses from the governors- the County Sheriff and the County Board of Health need to be making the decisions. It's the only thing that makes sense.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Oustside The Asylum by Ted Seeber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at http://outsidetheaustisticasylum.blogspot.com.