Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Abortion Part II: the other half of the sin

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Reinhold Niebuhr (1892 - 1971)

I've been accused of letting my economics lead my pro-life tendencies to abandon certain abortions as not being evil. Instead, I see it as being more about the things I can change, vs the things I can't.

As individuals, we can't do much about abortion being legal. We can't do anything at all about rape, incest, or weird medical conditions.

We CAN do something charitable about the young mother faced with an unexpected child. We CAN do something about the young family already working three minimum wage jobs with a new mouth to feed. We CAN do something about women's clinics in poor areas of the country that don't have ultrasound machines. We CAN do something about making sure every woman has a right to pre-natal health care. We CAN do something about teaching our children that sex is the prayer for more children- and that you shouldn't pray for what you don't want. We CAN do something about helping the disabled. We CAN teach our children that the disabled are people too, put here on this Earth for a reason. We CAN encourage the young family facing a child with birth defects that we will be there for them as a community.

And for the 800,000 children a year killed in the United States- we SHOULD. (CDC reports that this has actually been decreasing- so maybe charitable efforts are working).

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Oustside The Asylum by Ted Seeber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at http://outsidetheaustisticasylum.blogspot.com.