Monday, December 1, 2008

My nephew

My nephew is also diagnosed Asperger's, but he's young enough that his parent's health care insurance is willing to do something about it.  He was tested and found that his body was sequesting mercury, one of several potential causes of Asperger's.  He's been on a GFCF diet for the last 3 years, and has been through Chelation therapy.

That is the background.  Over the weekend, I got a chance to observe, up close, his progress.  He's now into art, marine biology, and chess, pretty good for a 10-year-old.  He seems happier, and more willing to at least engage people one on one.  He's also getting better at faking body language.  

I think he's going to be much happier with his life- which makes me wonder what would have happened with my life had I been able to access this training and this diet when I was young (not that Asperger's was even considered as a diagnosis for me before 2000, and I would have needed the treatment in the 1970s to avoid warping my growing brain).

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Oustside The Asylum by Ted Seeber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at http://outsidetheaustisticasylum.blogspot.com.